Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One day in Singapore

After leaving GF in Phuket for the final time on this trip, I arrived in Singapore where I had booked myself a boutique hotel to end the trip nicely. Singapore was as I'd expected and read about - squeaky clean, very modern, as hygienic as say, Japan, but with a more interesting mix of ethnicities and history. Being located in Chinatown, I got to enjoy some really good hawker stall food, and walked around town and took the MRT around to go shopping. I met up with RL, an old dive buddy from Layang-Layang in 2004, and we caught up the last 3 years on some sushi off Orchard Road. It is always one of life's pleasures to catch up with a friend and realize that not much had changed since we'd left off. The dive-the-world club is ever expanding as RL and I must now go to the Philippines and Indonesia in the future to find some mola-mola and thresher sharks.

The following morning was spent at the Asian Civilisations Museum, which was very interesting. Then I walked about for a bit, and took the plane home - well not quite home yet, as I will be in Toronto to visit a 2 month old baby for a few days before I head home back to reality.

Kampong Glam, the Muslim quarter

kampong glam, originally uploaded by Galadryel.



Shark fin shop, which is deplorable. The size of the fin makes me guess it must have been a tiger, a great white or even a whale shark.

giant shark fin, originally uploaded by Galadryel.



Downtown modern Singapore with some leftover stalls on the Singapore River

singapore downtown, originally uploaded by Galadryel.



Les Québécois francophones comprendront pourquoi j'ai trouvé ceci divertissant:

estique, originally uploaded by Galadryel.

No comments:

Post a Comment