Thursday, March 8, 2007

Greetings from Bangkok (again!)

Greetings from the new international terminal at the Vancouver airport!

I've left cold Montreal for my second trip to Asia this year... Am stuck in Vancouver already with an Air Canada plane delay... I don't even know where I'm spending the night, Bangkok or Hong Kong! But hey, travel delays are part of life now... As long as my luggage makes it, I can live with delays. But of course I've already packed just as if my luggage wasn't going to make it - Malorone, dive computer and bikini in my cabin bag. Just in case.

Vini has started a blog here.

For now, I am *just* trying to get there!

The team a few days ago, still in the cold and stress:

A few days until the Amazing Race

06/03/07


Greetings from Bangkok!

I wonder if the rest of the group made it; last I heard, they had to drive down to New York City instead of flying because all flights were cancelled due to a blizzard. Then they would catch their super-long flight to Singapore. Strange, because when I left Montreal on the same day, it was nice and clear. So in the end we are all delayed!!!

Well after my 9 hour delay in Vancouver and an unexpected dinner out there, the saga continues. We landed in Hong Kong at 3 o clock in the morning and I had to sit around until 7 am in an empty huge airport. I got the first flight out of Hong Kong to Bangkok. Then, guess what? NO LUGGAGE IN BANGKOK! Yay! My usual luck!!! I don't even get upset anymore, I am just full of joy when it doesn't happen; hence with a big sigh of resignation I headed towards the Thai Airways lost luggage department.

So the very nice and professionnal guy at Thai Airways tells me that he can forward the two pieces separately - the square luggage to Phuket (and I gave him the address of our Khao Lak resort) and the backpack to Saigon. There are two other flights from Hong Kong before I leave for Saigon so hopefully one of them will have my stuff on it. The most likely explanation is that they never made the connection in a sleepy Hong Kong airport at 3 o'clock in the morning. However, if they got stuck in Vancouver, then they may not make it till tomorrow; at which point hopefully they will make to me in Saigon. This makes me a very seasoned traveller, I suppose.

The only ticket left on Thai (because I wouldn't trust Vietnam airways - on whose ticketing counter it says to call downtown, or Air Asia, notorious for charging extra for freight) was business and since I've got close to 5 hours to kill I figure that the extra 3000 baht was worthwhile to get free food, free internet and a comfortable lounge access. Anyways it was better to get a ticket than a place on standby, so I ain't complaining.

I can't even begin to imagine the state of my hair - Eugh! Thank God I do not have a B.O problem thanks to my Vietnamese genes.

So wish me luck and a happy reunion with my two favourite pieces of luggage, somewhere in Asia. May the God of Thai Airways be with me, since I hit the wrath of the God of Air Canada!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment