Friday, April 19, 2002

12 000 feet is 4 000 meters!

Guess what I did?

12 000 feet falling at 200 km/h for whole 60 seconds

How crazy is that?

Let me start by the beginning...

Greetings from Queenstown, the capital of adventure sports of the world. Sitting in the valley of the Remarkable mountains (6000 ft) and by Lake Wakatipu, it is completely magnificent. Everything is available down here, from bungee jumping to paragliding, hang-gliding, sky diving, jetboating, whitewater rafting, and everything else...

So this morning, I was supposed to go hang-gliding (deltaplane). It got cancelled because the sky was too overcast, and rescheduled to 12 noon if it was to clear out. However I had a hiking/jetboating/4wd expedition by Dart River to do at 12 so that was it for hang-gliding. Meeting my Contiki guide at the Dart River expedition pick-up place, there was a misunderstanding and we missed the bus. By the time a taxi got there to try to catch up with the bus, it was too late. Royally pissed, my day was ruined. I was so mad (at the guide) that she felt awful, and she suggested to rebook hang-gliding as the weather had cleared out completely and it had become an otherwise perfect day. We passed by another shop instead and found out that there was 1 last spot left for SKYDIVING right now and then, with the rest of the Contiki group who went.

So in fraction of a second, the decision was made...

60 seconds of freefall (beats bungee anytime...)

complete exhilaration!

Gliding in the valley surrounded by the Southern Alps and the Remarkables.

Need I say more?

Life is great. Cheers all. I'm still alive.

Dying skydiving anyways is pretty painless :)

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment